Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Story of Christmas


When I received "The Story of Christmas", retold by Gwen Ellis and illustrated by Steve Smallman, I initially set the book aside, thinking I would pick it up later in the day to read and review it. However, it sat on the counter for over a week until I saw it last night as I was cleaning. I sat down to read it and immediately regretted not reading it as soon as it arrived. It is a jewel of a Christmas book for children.

Starting with the news to Elizabeth and Zechariah that they will have a son named John and continuing through the birth of Christ and the journey back home to Nazareth, this book highlights the main points of the Christmas story in a way that all children can understand and appreciate. Although written in the author's words, every page has a reference to where the actual Bible text can be found, which is great for discovering the story with older children.

I especially loved the last couple of pages where they have taken pictures from the story and mixed them up so that you can have the child point out the correct order that they should be in. What a superb way to test understanding!

And as if the book is not enough, there is also a DVD included that is 17 minutes long and includes six stories from the life of Jesus: John the Baptist, Jesus is Born, Where is Jesus?, Jesus tempted by Satan, Jesus' Life, and Jesus loves Children.

I will definitely be passing this sweet book on to the little ones in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment